Raise your hand if you love snacks.
Please tell me I’m not the only one with my hand raised?!?! I love snack foods. Popcorn, crackers, nuts, granola bars, fruits, veggies, dips, etc.
Week 7 of the 12 Week Meal Prep Series is all about the wonderful art of healthy snacking!
There are SO many possibilities when it comes to snacks. During the week, I prefer to have five small meals spread out throughout the day. However, on the weekend I am more likely to grab “snacks” that are lower in calorie between meals.
The key to a healthy snack is to combine a protein with a healthy carb. Some of my favorite snack combinations with both protein and carbs include:
- cottage cheese with fruit (banana, blueberries, strawberries, peaches, apples, etc)
- Greek yogurt with nuts, seeds, granola and/or fruit
- beef jerky with a side of nuts (pistachios, almonds, walnuts, pecans, etc)
- whole wheat wrap packed with chicken or deli meat, plus lettuce, avocado and mustard
- hummus with a mix of raw veggies (bell pepper slices, carrots, celery, etc)
- protein smoothie made with frozen fruit
- energy bites and balls – various recipes found on eatliftplayrepeat.com or on Pinterest
Play around with your snacks, both what you eat and when you eat it. You might find that you like three large meals per day, plus one small snack either mid-morning or mid-afternoon. Or you could find out that you like several small meals/snacks throughout the day.
If you do enjoy a mid-morning or mid-afternoon snack, then try have 2-4 hours before and after your other meals. For example, if you eat lunch at noon, try to have a snack between 3-4pm then dinner at 6-7pm. Spreading your eating routine out will keep your blood sugar levels more even and your energy up between those big meals.
Here are some of my favorite snack recipes on the blog:
- Cherry Vanilla Smoothie
- Cottage Cheese with Avocado & Tomato
- Strawberry Almond Smoothie
- Peanut Butter Energy Bites
- Banana Bread Energy Bites
- Chunky Monkey Energy Bites
Don’t forget to sign up for emails in order to get even more tips, ideas and recipe for convenient, healthy snacks!
What are your favorite healthy snacks?